Wednesday, November 4, 2009

How I View Advertisements

My view about advertisements has not changed that much through this project; hence I still view advertisements the same way I did before the project. Even though I actually thought of the ethos, pathos and logos of the two ads for the project, this does not mean that now I do that when I see an ad. And even more so, I do not compare and contrast the ethos, pathos and logos of different ads. For those reasons, I still think that I am a passive audience to visual arguments; therefore, I have not noticed a change in the manner that I look at visual arguments. I have not changed because, for the most part, I ignore a lot of ads. Many ads do not catch my attention so it would not make sense for me to care about their ethos, pathos and logos anyways. When an ad actually catches my attention, it is because the picture (visual) is of something that stands out from all of the other ads. Or it catches me attention simply by being something I usually buy, for example clothes from particular stores I like. If the visual is of something I do not care about, like sports, then I am not going to read more into it or even actually read what may be written on it; that would be a waste of time to me. These things that I do when I view an ad are not going to change just because I viewed two ads differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Header image by Flóra @ Flickr