Friday, October 2, 2009

My Writing Process

My writing process changes depending on what I am writing. But, for the most part, I brainstorm a little before I write. First, I think of the main idea of what I am writing and then build from that. For example, when I am writing a blog that I know has to be at least 250 words, I usually do not have the 250 words at first. I have to read over what I have written and see how I can expand on it to make it long enough. I can do this by adding transitions since, when I brainstorm, I usually do not think of the transitions. I usually come up with transitions at the end even if I do not brainstorm, but I just sit down and write. No matter what, I always read over my compositions after I have written them. I always have mistakes that I can easily fix from just reading over my compositions. I do not read over it quickly, but then again, I do not necessarily read over the individual sentences. When I read over my compositions, I am making sure what I have written makes sense and that my grammar is correct. Sometimes when I read my compositions, I think that what I have written is grammatically correct, but it’s not simply because I do not know better. For example, before I learned about comma splices in this class, I knew I was using them, but I never paid much attention to them when I was reading over my compositions. Since I now know about comma splices, I try to make sure I use them correctly. That is just one of the many things I do when I write and read over my compositions. I do put effort into writing and going over my compositions, but I know I could put even more effort into it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Header image by Flóra @ Flickr