Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Shaping Compostitions to Their Audience

My compositions have different audiences, therefore; I must shape my compositions to their specific audience. I often do this by changing what words and phrases I use. For example, if I am sending a text to my friend, I may write things like "lol" and "jk". But, if I am writing an essay for my English class, I would not write those things. If I am writing to anyone besides my friends, I also cannot use slang. It would not be appropriate to use slang while talking to someone who you should be respectful towards. The words/phrases I use in order to address my audience change depending on who I am talking to. For example, if I am writing a formal letter to someone, then I may start it off with, "Dear Mr. Smith," but if was writing a note for a friend I may write, "Katelyn,". This is related to the fact that, for certain audiences, I have to be formal and respectful. There are other audiences that I can be informal and casual with. This idea of respect and formality influences what form of composition I use. For example, I may text my friend or send them a message on Facebook but I would not do that to one of my professors. It would be inappropriate to do that to a professor unless they tell you to. Another example of the form of composition is that I may write a formal letter asking for a recommendation for a job but I would not text someone in order to ask for that. The same ideas of respect and formality influence whether or not I can write in shorthand. I can write in shorthand when I text my friends or talk to them on Facebook, but otherwise, I cannot do this in my compositions. For example, I may write "nvr" in a text, which is shorthand for "never", but in an English paper I would write "never". Writing in shorthand, using certain words/phrases, addressing my audience and picking the form of my composition all rely on who the audience is.
When writing compositions, I often think of audiences other than my instructor. But, if I am writing a composition for school, I only think of my instructor as my audience. There are some exceptions though. For example, when I wrote my Meet My Neighbor papers, I thought of my instructor as my audience and either an old pen pal or a friend, depending on the composition. Typically, I only think of my instructor as my audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Header image by Flóra @ Flickr